The magical chocolate brownie. The thing of tales. The first food to become a counterculture phenomenon. It can carry THC and it can carry loads of calories. The first “edible”. There are plenty of sites to tell you about the THC* so let’s not worry about that. Here you have the easy recipe for the best gooey vegan brownie.
I was sitting in my living room last night thinking “what am I doing with my life?” So I got up and went to the kitchen. Rummaging through drawers and cabinets I realized that I have everything needed to bake some chocolate vegan brownies. Yep, that was the answer I came up with at 10pm. Sober, awake, and done with TV. Vegan brownies are amazing in the fact that pretty much everyone probably has everything they need to make a batch right in their kitchen. That may be why it became the first hippie edible. So, let me give you my basic brownie recipe:
PREP: 5 minutes
BAKING TIME: 20 minutes
YIELD: 12 2-inch brownies
1 Cup of all purpose flour
1 Cup of Sugar (I recommend this brand)
1 Cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of melted Earth Balance margarine or vegetable oil
1/2 of your favorite non-dairy milk. You can use water in a pinch.
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
7″x11″ baking pan, or something around that size. If it is much bigger remember that the brownies will be thinner and cook faster.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. NOTE: If you are using turbinado or unprocessed sugar, mix it with warm non-dairy milk or water to dissolve before and add in step 2. This step isn’t necessary but does allow for a smoother texture.
- Create a crater in the middle of the dry and add the milk, margarine or vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Mix everything well. You want to have a glistening dark brown dough.
- Spread the dough in a greased baking.
- Pop into the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes. After 20 minutes, check on the brownies. If the edges are thick and crispy, the top is no longer shiny, and the center feels pretty firm, they are ready. Pull out and let cook for 30 minutes.
There you have it! Easy as she goes.
*If you want the THC addition, you can go here to see how to make cannabutter. Just sub in Earth Balance for the dairy stuff.